Monday, December 13, 2010

The No Good Awful Very Bad Week

Last week, we had an epic eruption of misbehavior. In fact, we three decided that it goes down in family history as the No Good Awful Very Bad Week.

Truly, we got it all, within the span of a few days: suspension, substance abuse, absent-without-leave, petty theft, personal insults, you name it. It was as if T. gathered every shred of mental health he has so carefully cultivated and ignited it all at once in a bonfire of self-destruction.

It also just happened (coincidence?) to be the one-year anniversary of the date he finally moved in with us (the date T. considers himself to have "left the system" as he puts it); the week prior to our adoption court hearing, and, of course, the midst of holiday season. In other words, a Bermuda Triangle of triggers.

Then, as suddenly as it arrived, it blew over. By Saturday, he was communicative and affectionate. By Sunday he was apologetic, warm, and engaging. We went to the Korean spa together, where T. insisted that he needed a salt scrub, to overcome dry skin. "I think it will help me relax and turn over a new leaf!" he said brightly. On Monday, he willingly and without struggle joined us for a meeting with a new counselor who specializes in substance abuse treatment for adolescents (thank God for community mental health clinic, and they will be receiving all my spare laundry change when I quit this life), and signed up to weekly meetings. On Tuesday, he brought home weeks worth of neglected school assignments and asked for help in getting caught up.

When we were preparing to be parents, I did a lot of reading about attachment disorder. But my experience with T. is that he has something that strikes me as the opposite - call it detachment crises. When we have to separate (because we have to go to work, he has to go to school, for example) things go amok. He is not able to regulate his own behavior, despite his intelligence and gentle nature. And when he gets overwhelmed, he doesn't go mildly amok, in the way that peer-influenced way of most teenagers. He goes dramatically erratically amok, like a toddler in a 6'4" body. As we were reflecting on the Awful No Good Very Bad Week, we all agreed that the worst part (and there were many) was that we came disconnected; once we were able to come back together and be close, even though we didn't have any answers, things started to improve.

He said, "I just want you to know, I wasn't having FUN when I was being so bad." I understood exactly what he meant: he often appears to be having a wild time and even smirks when he is in the midst of a meltdown, but it's not because he's enjoying himself. Early on, we learned that a certain smirk actually means he's in full on panic mode.

I find that being his parent requires constant simplification of priorities. There are really only a couple things we can offer. The first is that we can show him over and over again that no matter how difficult his behavior might be, we will not "give him back." I know this, and yet I constantly underestimate how significant it is to him, and how long it will take to confirm once and for all that this is for good.

Recently he said to me "In the system, I had to be good, or I'd get given away." That is his fundamental reality: show your true colors, and nobody will want you anymore, and you will lose your home, your friends, and everything that is familiar. That causes him tremendous stress (his word) and his inability to manage stress in turn causes him to come unglued and do things that, in the end, cause him (and us!) more stress.

We were taught in our parent training classes how to prepare for the grief kids like T. feel at being separated from their families. But I don't think we were prepared adequately for the elevated expectations he had about being adopted. As we were telling our history to our new counselor, I was struck by how proud he is that he is adopted. When he moved in a little over a year ago, we expected him to be bothered that we are white, grieved that we aren't his relatives, alienated by our unfamiliar habits. What I missed, at least in part, is that he was terrified; terrified that we would uncover the real him, or he wouldn't live up to our expectations, or he wouldn't be able to change to fit in. Perhaps unlike the majority of kids in foster care, T. never lived with a parent. Getting adopted was a very big deal for him, a goal he set for himself late in his childhood. That's great, but it also put tremendous stress on him: to be wanted by someone, to be good enough to be someone's precious child. He doesn't really understand that we fell in love with the real T.; we could see him in there all along. We loved him for his intelligence and his complexity and his delicious smell, not for being "good".

Every time we survive one of these episodes, we experience a great leap forward afterwards. He trusts us more, comes closer, and confides more. Tonight he curled up on the couch and leaned against me while we chatted and his whole face was alight.

And just in case someone who is going through a tough time with a complicated teenager reads this and feels like it all sounds easy: it wasn't, and I was not a very good parent at times last week. I lost my confidence, got angry and sad, and had absolutely no idea what to do. I lost my composure and even avoided him for a couple days. By the end of the week, all I could say was "I love you and I don't know what to do." By Monday, I could say "I love you and I don't know what to do but I found someone that I'd like to ask for help," and he trusted me enough to come along.

T. teaches me all the time how little I control and how flawed I am. I am humbled by my own shortcomings, and daunted by how little I can actually do for him. But I do know that when he sees us falter and get overwhelmed and angry, and then find ways to reconnect with him afterwards, he finally understands how much we love him. He sees that he is not the only one who is overcome sometimes, and that family isn't really so fragile after all.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love to read your blog because it mirros many of the thing we see with our own daughter, who recently came to us thorugh the same program where you met T. We haven't reached the same milestones of one year at home, or adoption court, but the close of the school semester, looming bad grades, and the very real possibility of not graduating has brought daily eruptions and fears that she won't live up to our expectations and that we will give her back. Whenever one of these eruptions occurs I truly see a toddler in an 18 year old body. No regulation, no rationalization. However, like T, once it is over, she does come back to us to talk it out and reflect upon herself, rather than project her fears and frustrations on us.

Claudia said...

I love all of your posts, but this one is particularly, spectacularly moving.

Jen said...

Thank you for this post, and all your posts. I always learn something important and meaningful from your writing. This time, the message of "I love you and I don't know what to do" is resonating with me.

jaenkes said...

Your blog has meant so much to us. We were just finally matched with a 7yr old boy! We have a biological 9yr old and are told to expect a honeymoon period for both and then the testing, etc times. Your blog helps us hear those situations and learn from your experience.

As you stated at the beginning, there isn't much out there for older kid adoption. We started out looking at kids 7-13, and just ended up with a 7yr old. We think later in life we will look at teenagers again.

Thank you and Happy Holidays!

jaenkes said...

Your blog has meant so much to us. We were just finally matched with a 7yr old boy! We have a biological 9yr old and are told to expect a honeymoon period for both and then the testing, etc times. Your blog helps us hear those situations and learn from your experience.

As you stated at the beginning, there isn't much out there for older kid adoption. We started out looking at kids 7-13, and just ended up with a 7yr old. We think later in life we will look at teenagers again.

Thank you and Happy Holidays!

marythemom said...

I always wonder how much of our son's issues are his RAD, his mental illnesses and issues, how much is "normal teen" stuff, and how much is just "kid who's been though the foster care system."

Honestly your posts help me so much. Adopting teens is hard. It's good to know that that's true for everyone and I am not alone - and not a horrible parent. I feel better about our difficulties after reading your posts. Thank you!!

Mary in TX

 
Site Meter